Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

Engine Knocking Upon Acceleration & Oil Consumtion

Frances

Good morning All,

I am having trouble with my Telluride and was wondering if anyone can relate/has any insight please. My 2020 SX now has 138k miles so is out of all warranties. A few months ago it basically ran itself out of oil with only a split second flicker of the oil light as any indication. It was of course running a bit rough but I was addressing another issue with my mechanic so thought it was related. When I got home the dipstick was dry and my coolant was empty...how she didn't blow up is beyond me. I notified the dealer which gave me the whole 1 quart consumption per 1,000 miles is a KIA standard spiel. They were going to do a oil consumption test on it but someone asked the right question (it has too many miles) and of course it wouldn't be pursued by KIA to replace the engine as I have been reading that others have had to do. I explained to the advisor that I am in disbelief that a car that tells me everything wouldn't let me know it was low on oil... The engine now routinely knocks upon accelerating & my mechanic told me to get rid of it as he has seen a big issue with the Telluride & Palisade having this issue at various mileage. I check the oil every two weeks or so and have to add at least a quart depending on the miles driven...fun times.

The dealership has recommended to do a overnight cylinder soak which they say has a 90% success rate on other models (they claim they have never heard of a problem with the Telluride yet). Has anyone had this done? I am curious if it is worth the investment. They said that if this doesn't work they would need to look in there with a scope to see what was going on but very likely it would need a new $20k engine at that point...yikes.