Welcome to the #1 KIA Telluride Forum and KIA Telluride community dedicated to KIA Telluride owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the KIA Telluride Forum today!

oil filter small leak after 1st change

jjdore

I've got 40 years of changing the oil but this is a new issue for me on first Telluride change - a very small leak at oil filter. Filter is STP and I removed the old black gasket and put on new one (red) and tightened to 25 NM (using automatic torque socket). My local mechanic said he had a similar problem and suggested using Kia OEM filter gasket but my local dealer isn't able to sell any parts due to the dealer software ransom ware problem. I tried re-using the original gasket but the leak was worse so now I've got the STP gasket back on. Leak is a very small drop every 2:40 minutes or about 22 per hour so I can keep an eye on oil levels but I need to get this fixed. It looks like either the gasket is the issue (as my mechanic thinks) or did I not tighten it enough (filter cover has 35 NM stamped on it but that's a lot, it wasn't that tight from the factory). Anyone else with this problem? Thanks

Kmiles

Just to be sure - are you putting the O-Ring in the right position? Also, is there any impediment where the body of the filter cover connects with the engine? Did you coat the O-ring with engine oil?
1719604694813.gif

Tightening torque : 31.4 - 38.2 N·m (3.2 - 3.9 kgf·m, 23.1 - 28.2 lb·ft)

OP
J

jjdore

Thread Starter #3
Thanks for picture --- but is gasket on the 1st thread course or above the threads? Picture makes it look like it's above the threads all by itself. If it is on the 1st thread then of course the gasket has to cross over the thread ridge so that's where I'm assuming its leaking at.

Thanks for picture --- but is gasket on the 1st thread course or above the threads? Picture makes it look like it's above the threads all by itself. If it is on the 1st thread then of course the gasket has to cross over the thread ridge so that's where I'm assuming it’s leaking at.
It is above the thread. If you look the last thread had a tiny hole the o ring goes right above that one. Also coat the o ring with oil.

Kmiles

Thanks for picture --- but is gasket on the 1st thread course or above the threads? Picture makes it look like it's above the threads all by itself. If it is on the 1st thread then of course the gasket has to cross over the thread ridge so that's where I'm assuming its leaking at.
It is above the threads in a groove designed for the O-Ring. Please remember to coat the full O-Ring with engine oil. I hope that helps!

OP
J

jjdore

Thread Starter #6
I see the small hole now, thanks. New o ring now sitting just above the thread. But still a very very small leak --- once every 6 minutes (a big improvement from before but still not right). Tightened to 25 Nm.
IMG_3380.jpg

OP
J

jjdore

Thread Starter #7
and yes o ring has oil on it and I used a new Kia filter.

OP
J

jjdore

Thread Starter #8
Problem fixed! Did two things differently this time ---- 1) used copious amount of oil on both sides of o ring (after learning the ring can get messed up when it's tightened without adequate lubrication) 2) only tightened filter hand tight plus 1/4 turn with wrench (which was approx where the factory had it based on torque required to remove it the first time). There is no need to tighten the oil filter to 35 NM (my socket stopped at 25 NM which was very tight and I was getting a very small leak every few minutes). 25 min of running only had 1 drop and it was on the outside of the cap so it was residual oil from my hands.

I hope other people can avoid this problem. Now that I know the tricks, future oil changes will be a breeze. Thanks for this forum for the help!

If you still have a small leak I would replace the o ring.